Sunday, April 3, 2011

quick-cooked edamame with soy sauce

I made quick-cooked edamame with soy sauce* for dinner one night last week, and it was everything I was hoping it'd be: quick, easy, and flavorful.

I sauteed green onions and ginger in a bit of oil, and then I added in soy sauce and water. The recipe calls for either a cup of kombu dashi or 1/4 cup soy sauce plus 3/4 cup water. I didn't want to mess with making kombu dashi, so I went with the soy sauce. I brought the mixture to a low boil and added edamame, carrots, and snow peas. That cooked for just a few minutes and then I spooned it onto brown rice.
Edwin and I loved this dish. It was really really flavorful and filling, and the leftovers made great lunches. I was a bit surprised by how complex it tasted, since the only seasonings come from the ginger and soy sauce. EDW is always happy with Asian inspired meals, so it was a good night in the Arnaudin household.
*Bittman, Mark. How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. "Quick-Cooked Edamame with Soy Sauce." p. 584-5

No comments:

Post a Comment