Monday, April 4, 2011

quinoa loaf

I made a quinoa loaf for dinner Saturday night. I found the recipe on the Whole Foods website a few weeks ago, but I've been saving it for a weekend when I had a bit more time. It's not a difficult recipe, but it does take about an hour in the oven to cook. The whole thing is assembled like meatloaf, with some special vegan ingredients instead of ground beef and eggs.

I combined the chickpeas, oats, and water in my food processor while the mushrooms were cooking. Then I stirred all my ingredients together and smooshed them into my loaf pan. After an hour in the oven, my kitchen was smelling quite cozy and we were ready to dig in.
My pieces didn't stay together like meat loaf slices do. It may have something to do with the fact that I didn't let it rest the whole 10 minutes, but even when we went back for seconds it didn't stick together once cut. Even though the slices became heaps, the flavor was fantastic. This isn't a knock you over with exciting taste combinations-- it's just really nice and subtle.
EDW said it's the best treatment of quinoa I've cooked, so you know he thinks it's pretty special.

No comments:

Post a Comment