Tuesday, April 5, 2011

vegan frittata

I'm still not sure what this quarter's recipe theme will be, but I made up a vegan frittata on Sunday. I had some silken tofu in the fridge, and it just seemed like you could make it into an "egg" dish. Here's the recipe:

Vegan Frittata
serves 2-3

1 small yellow onion, diced
1 T EVOO
1 T minced garlic
1 block silken tofu
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 T fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and sliced
3 T nutritional yeast
1 t sea salt
1/2 fresh ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 400.

In a small non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium. When hot, add the onion and saute until softened and golden. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.

While the onion is cooking, blend the tofu and almond milk until smooth. (I used a big bowl and an immersion blender, but I don't see why a regular blender or food processor wouldn't work) In a large bowl, combine the tofu and milk with the remaining ingredients.

Add the tofu mixture to the skillet and bake 45 minutes, until almost set. Turn off the oven and leave the frittata in for 10 more minutes.

Serve, hot or room temperature.
I was a little nervous about this when I checked on it after 30 minutes--it seemed to be bubbling a lot and not setting up like a real egg frittata would, but in the end it all worked out. This looks like an egg frittata. This tastes like an egg frittata. And it's amazing.
You can use this recipe as a model for any frittata-- just fill with what you have. I do think you'll need to have plenty of herbs and spices, regardless of your filling, since tofu by itself has very little flavor.

EDW didn't quite believe I'd made up this recipe. He said, "Not to belittle your other creations, but this tastes like a professionally tested and published recipe." He was sure it was Mark Bittman. Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment