Tuesday, May 10, 2011

carrot raisin spelt berry salad

Another mountain bike ride = another spelt berry salad. Up last night? 7.5 miles at Bent Creek and carrot raisin spelt berry salad with cumin and cilantro.

I did so much better on this ride than last week's. As you know, I love to set goals. I like to think about them, decide on them, and announce them (for accountability).

My goals for the ride were to make it across the bridge and fall less.

We go over a single track bridge at the beginning and end of our rides, and the first ride over has intimidated me from the get go. It has a little to do with the small space and the rails on either side, a little to do with the fact that it goes over a creek and I get skittish around water, and a lot to do with the sharp incline you make to get onto the bridge (hello, jostling). Last night, I made it across! Gleeful whoops and squeals ensued. And the falling? Not an issue this week! I'm getting better at stopping and getting out of the bike, and my confidence is improving. As a bonus, I rode through my first creek, which was thrilling and terrifying. Being comfortable around water is a long term goal, so I was super proud of myself for going through a creek. Insert more shrieks of joy.

On our way back in, I did have some trouble with the bridge, which is odd because I normally sail right through on the return side (it's easier to get on than from the other direction). My handlebars scraped the railing halfway across and that freaked me out, so I braked and stopped pedaling-- the worst thing you can do. I crashed into the left side of the bridge, but that's only one fall and more of a crash, so I'm saying I totally accomplished my goals. I did, after all, make it across from the direction that normally gives me trouble. I'll get them both next time.

As for my crash? I'm getting tougher and it didn't freak me out as much as my falls did last week. It didn't feel good, but it didn't make me think I was going to die. I may or may not have landed on my big hip bruise again. It may or may not have increased in size.

I made dinner earlier in the day, with some additions and changes. To make my salad a bit heftier, I added 4 diced green onions, 1 1/2 cups broccoli slaw, and 2 cups cooked chickpeas. I decided not to heat any of the veggies, and I stirred the garlic into the remaining ingredes to make a dressing.
Having dinner ready really makes the perfect ending to a mountain bike evening. I got home, rinsed the mud from my legs (from riding through the creek, not falling!), and sat down.
I loved this one. I think it has to do with the raisins and chickpeas, one of my favorite bean and fruit combos. Edwin loved it too, and he says he isn't getting tired of spelt berries yet (we know I'm not, obvi). We had our salad over spinach, and I'm excited to finish it off for lunch today.

1 comment: