Monday, May 2, 2011

creamy carrot and chickpea soup

The other night I made Creamy Carrot and Chickpea Soup.* It's not a hard recipe, but it does take about an hour and a half for the chickpeas to cook, so you need some time to make it happen.

I browned a pound of carrots with some garlic and onions in olive oil, and then I added in cumin and smoked paprika. I'm a little bit in love with smoked paprika right now, and you might know that I have a longstanding affection for cumin, so this smelled like heaven to me.
Next I added in some dried chickpeas and vegetable broth, and then I got to walk away for a while. I let the soup simmer for about an hour and a half. It seems like a long time for soup, I know, but according to Mr. Bittman "since chickpea broth is one of the most delicious liquids you can make, it's worth it."

Once the beans were tender I added in some orange juice and pureed it. I could have left this one chunky for EDW, but I really wanted the creamy texture pureeing the beans would provide, so I went with it. He didn't mind at all.
This soup is delightful. It's not too carroty or too garbanzo beany-- it's just right. We loved it for dinner with an arugula salad, and it made great lunch leftovers the next day.
Bittman, Mark. The Food Matters Cookbook. "Creamy Carrot and Chickpea Soup." p. 116-17.

No comments:

Post a Comment