Tuesday, May 31, 2011

garlic scape pesto

I've been using lots of garlic scapes this week, mostly by mincing them and using them like I'd do with regular garlic, but I had plenty leftover to make garlic scape pesto for dinner last night.

I plunked my walnuts and garlic scapes in the food processor, and blended away. Once I'd added in the olive oil, I stirred in (not pictured) parmesan, salt and pepper.
I tossed about 1/4 cup of the pesto with cooked pasta and grape tomatoes, along with a little pasta cooking water to blend everything well.
We enjoyed the pesto quite a bit. I did a lot of reading about garlic scapes this week, and one thing I learned is that the garlic scape is much milder than regular garlic. This pesto is definitely packed with punch, but the garlic taste is mellow and pleasant. I sent some home with my in-laws, who joined us for an impromptu weeknight meal, to use as a pizza sauce. EDW and I will be using the rest of the pesto as a spread on sandwiches this week, and I may stir some into a frittata this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment