Tuesday, May 3, 2011

the muffin chronicles, part XX

This is the twentieth installment of the muffin chronicles. (Technically it's the 21st because I added an amendment to one, but it's the 20th recipe.) I'm not sure I'll keep documenting my trials-- we'll just have to see-- but thinking about all those muffins is thrilling to me. In less than a year, I have tried at least 20 muffin recipes. (I've made way more than 20 batches of muffins, though, because I do repeaters a lot. Favorites include variations of pumpkin, sweet potato banana, and cherry almond.) I have to say: I no longer suck at muffins. I started baking muffins every Sunday to get more muffin practice. My muffins usually turn out looking like muffins now, with the exception of a few flops.

(Nice one, fance.)

Last week I saw this recipe for carrot cake muffins, and I knew I had to make my own. Normally I'm not a fan of jello salad, but there's one that I love still: pineapple carrot jello. It's heaven. I think it's just grated carrot and crushed pineapple in orange jello. When I saw Susan's recipe combining carrots and pineapple, I just couldn't resist the combo.

Here's my version. I'm not sure if it counts as a made-up recipe or if we're calling it an adaptation, but here's what I did:

Pineapple Carrot Muffins
makes 12 muffins

1 c plus 2 T whole wheat flour
1/2 c sugar
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/4 c applesauce
2 eggs
2 t vanilla
1/3 c crushed pineapple
1 c grated carrots
1/4 c shredded coconut
1/4 c walnut pieces, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a muffin tin.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Make a well.

In a medium bowl, combine applesauce, eggs, vanilla, and pineapple. Add to the dry ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Gently fold in carrots.

In a small bowl, combine the coconut and walnuts.

Divide the muffin batter evenly among the muffin cups. Sprinkle each top with coconut walnut mixture.

Bake 20 minutes.
These were pretty good. We like the coconut layer on top, and it saves you the trouble of toasting your coconut before stirring it into the batter since it gets toasted, along with the nuts, while the muffins bake.
Edwin and I both give the muffins a B. What's disappointing about them is that the pineapple really doesn't come through. I'd like a more pronounced pineapple flavor, so next time I may try adding more fruit or adding more of the juice. Thoughts on how to make these true pineapple muffins? They mostly tasted like delicious carrot muffins to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment