Wednesday, May 18, 2011

quinoa salad with tempeh

I had my first experience with cooking tempeh last weekend, and it was quite the success. I made quinoa salad with tempeh* Sunday night.
I started by browning crumbled tempeh. (I bought an 8 ounce block at EarthFare, cut it in half, and crumbled it with two forks.) Next I added in halved grape tomatoes (the recipe called for 1 cup chopped tomatoes, but I'm thinking I used more than a cup) and a 5 ounce package of mung bean sprouts (by the way, I l.o.v.e. mung bean sprouts). Once the veggies were warm, I turned off the heat and stirred in sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and soy sauce. I transferred that mixture to a large bowl and dumped in cooked and cooled quinoa and tossed the whole thing with cilantro and green onions.
This salad is so odd looking. So very, very odd looking.
But the taste? As soon as EDW had swallowed his first bite, he said, "This is a new favorite." We loved the combination of tomatoes, quinoa, sprouts, and sesame oil. The tempeh gives it a nice crunch and the vinegar adds the perfect kiss of acidity, making this an all around delight to eat.

Our only complaint? It just serves 4, and the servings aren't exactly voluminous. Regardless of its bizarre appearance and wee portions, this salad is a winner. It made lunch on Monday quite special. Poor Edwin came home and lamented, "There's no more quinoa salad?!?"
I'll make him some more. I promised.

Bittman, Mark. How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. "Quinoa Salad with Tempeh." p. 84.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to having Quinoa Salad with Tempeh as a part of our regular culinary rotation.

    ReplyDelete