Tuesday, May 24, 2011

stir-fried green beans and tofu

I read in the paper that parts of western North Carolina are in what's called a thermal belt, which means that we have local produce available to us now that are from both spring and summer seasonal categories. Case in point: my CSA box last week contained green onions and strawberries (spring) as well as French beans (summer).

Sunday night I made stir-fried green beans and tofu skins,* except I used regular tofu instead of the hard to find tofu skins. Instead of stir-frying the tofu, I decided to try broiling it. I pressed it for about 30 minutes and then cut it into rectangles. Then I brushed each piece with a miso-soy sauce mixture, and broiled in the oven. I let each side go about 4 or 5 minutes. Easy.
For the green beans, I sauteed them in a mixture of sesame and vegetable oil, along with lots of fresh ginger and a couple dried Thai chiles. When they were crisp tender, I added some soy sauce, peanuts, and cilantro, and then I plated our meal: brown rice, broiled tofu, and green beans.
EDW and I really liked this treatment of green beans. I'm not a huge fan of vegetables cooked so long they turn soft, and we loved the flavor the sesame oil brought to the dish. The broiled tofu is amazing-- it has a great chewy texture and we were instantly smitten. It might be my favorite way to make tofu. It's so easy and quick and the results are such delicious bites.
*Bittman, Mark. How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. "Stir-Fried Green Beans and Tofu Skins." p. 306-7.

No comments:

Post a Comment