Sunday, June 26, 2011

chipotle pintos with zucchini and cabbage

One of my favorite things about vegetables is you can pretty much always throw them together in a skillet, add some seasonings, and call it a meal. You don't have to worry about undercooking anything like you do with meat, and it almost always tastes delicious.

Chipotle Pintos with Zucchini and Cabbage
serves 6 with quinoa, 4 without

1 T minced garlic
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 onion, chopped
2 T olive oil
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 large zucchini, sliced
2 cups cooked pinto beans
3/4 large cabbage, thinly sliced
1 T taco seasoning (I make my own but store-bought is fine)
2 t chipotle pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high and add the garlic, jalapeño, and onion. Cook until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes and zucchini, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the zucchini begins to soften.
Add the beans, taco seasoning and chipotle pepper flakes.
Add the cabbage and a bit of water, if needed, and cover. Cook until the cabbage has wilted and is tender.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh cilantro.

I cooked some quinoa while I made this, and we had large bowls of vegetables and quinoa for dinner Wednesday night.
I loved this on first bite. I was concerned with the amount of cabbage I initially added, but it didn't overwhelm the rest of the dish. It was definitely spicy, and it was almost too much for EDW. I felt terrible, as I always do when I overspice, but Edwin was gentle with his criticism: "It's just that when it's so spicy like this I feel like I can't taste what's in it, and I want to, because I know I'll like it." He took some pepto after dinner and we hoped for the best.

Since his stomach stayed stable, we both took some of this for lunch on Thursday, and we were surprised when it reheated not spicy at all. I think the quinoa must have absorbed the spice, because honestly it was like someone had removed all the heat from the dish.

If you make it, be careful with how much chipotle pepper you use. Maybe start with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon and adjust from there, especially if you're not serving it with quinoa or rice.
EDW graded this a B, and I'm saying B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment