Monday, June 20, 2011

EDW assists: bok choy and edamame with udon noodles

My elbow continues to heal, and EDW continues to drain heavy pots for me. We worked together to make a father's day lunch in honor of my father-in-law yesterday. Steve is one of my favorite people to cook for, because when I ask him what he wants me to make he always encourages me to experiment with whatever I've been thinking about. As long as I don't present him with a plateful of raw tomatoes, he's usually pretty happy.

I decided to make a bok choy stir-fry, because every time we're at the grocery store and we see it, Edwin revels in saying "bok choy!" It is a fun word, and it's definitely a fun vegetable. I was going to use soba noodles, but there was a major price difference in the 100% whole grain udon and 100% buckwheat soba noodles, so udon it was. Use any noodle you like here, or serve it with brown rice. You'll note in the recipe that I've given exact weights for the pasta and greens. It's not that I have a food scale, but the bok choy is by the pound and 1 bunch was 1.1 LB and the noodles came in an 8 ounce box. Here's the recipe:

Bok Choy and Edamame with Udon Noodles
serves 4

2 T canola oil
1 T minced fresh ginger
1 T minced garlic
1 LB bok choy
2 cups cooked shelled edamame
2 T low sodium soy sauce
8 oz udon noodles
2 green onions, chopped

Prepare the udon noodles according to package instructions. Once the noodles are cooked, drain them and reserve at least 1 cup cooking water.

While the noodles are cooking, remove the bok choy greens from the stems. Slice the stems and set them aside. Chop or tear the greens and set them aside.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bok choy stems and cook for 3-4 minutes, until they begin to soften.

Stir in the greens and 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the greens and stems are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the edamame and soy sauce, followed by the udon noodles and enough reserved liquid to make a saucy mixture.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and add the green onions. Serve with additional soy sauce and sriracha sauce.
We all really enjoyed this. The bok choy stems are so pleasant-- almost creamy and really flavorful. Edwin is delighted by anything that comes with noodles (his words after lunch: "You could probably put any food I think I don't like on noodles and I'd be happy."), and Steve seemed to enjoy his lunch as well. I did find that the dish tasted better with some sriracha stirred in, so if you make this, be prepared to add extra seasoning in the form of soy sauce or sriracha.
All in all, it was a lovely afternoon spent with Steve. It wasn't the traditional father's day cookout, but it suited our family just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment