Tuesday, June 14, 2011

EDW presents: barbara's corn and tomato pasta

You remember Barbara, right? Mother of Emmel, one of the Barronesses? Always has a nice mani?

I've had about a billion meals with Barbara over the years, and if she's cooking in the summer, it usually involves fancy olive oil and tomatoes from her garden. (It always involves wine.) One of my favorite Barbara meals is this tomato and corn pasta.

We had a coupon for free sweet corn at Earthfare this week, so I emailed Emmel for the recipe. The email went something like this:

"Holla. We have a coup for free corn at earthfare. What goes into that pasta your mom makes again? Corn, tomatoes, pasta, basil? Olive oil and garlic or no? Shallot or green onion or anything? Love you like one-armed spinning and starbucks in the afternoon. PS the pain meds made me want to vom to the max. Never taking them again."

She responded with:

"Holla. We put corn, tomatoes, cilantro, a little hot pepper chopped and olive oil. You could probably put some minced garlic or green onion in there if you wanted to. I hate pain meds. I don't understand how people get addicted to them. Vom! Take a couple more advil and it'll do the same thing. Off to look at wedding rings and tuxedos."

I responded with "Thanks preesh! Have fun and holla at me tomorrow. xx"



Then EDW and I worked together to make it happen. You don't really need measurements for this-- just toss everything together until it tastes right. And if you're one of those people who thinks you have to cook fresh corn, move on from that thought. Freshly cut corn is sweet, crunchy, and refreshing. You'll like it, I promise.

Since I can't drain pasta or mince things nicely, EDW was on that. He also shucked and cut the kernels off 4 ears of corn. And cut a pint of grape tomatoes in half. And minced the jalapeño and most of a bunch of cilantro. I'm not sure why I said we worked together. Edwin clearly did most of it. I salted the boiling water, stirred the cooked pasta with the raw corn, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeño, and olive oil. I also seasoned it to taste with salt and pepper.

Then I made EDW pose with our meal.
We had the pasta for dinner last night. While it's absolutely better with Barbara's fancy olive oil and garden tomatoes, this version is still a winner. We like it best served at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. I love the artistic pose EDW has adopted here.

    ReplyDelete