Sunday, June 5, 2011

quinoa tabbouleh

It's hot in Asheville. It's hotter than it's supposed to be everywhere in North Carolina, actually, and all I wanted last week were light, fresh tasting meals. We got a lot of mint in our CSA box, and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to use it for tabbouleh. I decided to make quinoa tabbouleh,* amped up with beans, for dinner one night.

I prepped my salad by chopping a cup of mint, a cup of parsley, and a ton of vegetables: I used a pint of cherry tomatoes, a cucumber, radishes, green onions, broccoli slaw, and some daikon radish. I also stirred in 2 cups of cooked chickpeas. Mark Bittman warned against adding extra quinoa or other grains: "don't be tempted to turn this herb-and-vegetable dish into a grain salad-- the grain is for texture, not heft." So I didn't.
I mixed my cooked quinoa with the veggies, lemon juice and olive oil, and then salted to taste. I served our salad over some lettuce from our box, and garnished with the optional black olives.
EDW and I really enjoyed this. It is only slightly reminiscent of tabbouleh, since the body is vegetables instead of grains, but I loved the flavor combination. For the first time ever, I was the one pushing my olives aside while Edwin gobbled his up. I didn't care for them with the salad, and I left them off for my lunch leftovers the next day.

Bittman, Mark. The Food Matters Cookbook. "Quinoa Tabbouleh." p. 164-165.

No comments:

Post a Comment