Friday, June 24, 2011

roasted summer vegetables

It's been a while since I've done anything with Simply in Season, so I pulled it out the other night for one of their seasoning blends for roasted summer vegetables.*

I stirred together garlic, olive oil, oregano, thyme, basil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, and salt and pepper. I tossed some CSA vegetables (and some I already had in my kitchen) in that mixture: zucchini, turnips, tomatoes, cabbage and an onion. After those were halfway finished roasting, I added the turnip greens. We had our roasted vegetables with whole wheat pasta, with freshly grated parmesan sprinkled on top.
Every time I eat roasted vegetables I wonder why I'm not always eating them. Sure, it's kind of a mess in the pan and you do have to wait for your oven to heat up, but they are so delicious. This seasoning was stellar, and since I used dried herbs instead of fresh, we can have it year round. EDW paid me the ultimate compliment: "We could serve this to guests." When Edwin says that, I know the meal is not only delicious, but appears more than a little fancy and quite impressive. Ash and Char are coming in a couple weeks-- maybe we'll have some roasted summer vegetables and pasta one night.
*Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. "Roasted Summer Vegetables, Seasoning 4." p. 119.

No comments:

Post a Comment