Wednesday, July 13, 2011

CSA Wednesday!

For the week of July 4, we received:

Bell Peppers (2 white, 2 purple!)
Corn (4 ears)
Blackberries (1 quart?)
Cabbage (1 red, 1 savoy)
1/2 Runner Beans (1 pound?)
Red Onions (4)
Zucchini (3 small)
The blackberries were amazingly sweet and plump. EDW and I worked really hard at being good hosts by saving some for Charlotte to try. They were gone before Ashley made it. (Sorry Ash!)

I used the red cabbage and corn in festive cabbage,
and the beans went into a pasta dish. I just sauteed the beans and a tomato with some garlic and onion in olive oil, and then tossed that with parmesan cheese and cooked penne one night. It was good, but not a revelation.
The rest of the veggies --the savoy cabbage, the onions, the zucchini, and 2 of the peppers-- and a supplemental pint of local cherry tomatoes purchased from the tailgate market became roasted summer vegetables and quinoa one night.
The leftover roasted vegetables reappeared in a pesto frittata the next night. To make the frittata, I reheated the vegetables and quinoa in a non-stick skillet. While those were warming, I whisked in about a tablespoon or two of pesto in the eggs and poured that over the vegetables. I topped the frittata with fresh basil and feta cheese before it went in the oven. It was fantastic. Char, Ash and I had the remaining purple pepper in our salad with the frittata, and EDW and I finished the last white one with lunch on Monday in our boxes of crudites.

It was a nice week.

No comments:

Post a Comment