Wednesday, July 20, 2011

CSA Wednesday!

For the week of July 11, we received:

Collards (large bunch)
Corn (4 ears)
Cucumbers (2)
Peaches (4)
Kennebec Potatoes (1 quart)
Red Onions (4)
Tomatillos (1 quart)
Heirloom Tomatoes (4)
It was quite the bounty, and EDW and I gobbled it all up.

I used the collards and half the potatoes for curried collards and potatoes on Tuesday night.
On Wednesday, I made salsa verde out of the tomatillos and used it for the dressing in salsa verde spelt berry salad, which also contained the corn, 1 cucumber, 1 red onion, and 2 of the tomatoes.
We still have a tiny bit of salsa verde leftover, even after using it to top beans and greens (this one was kale, pintos, chili powder and taco seasoning, plus two of the red onions).
The salsa also made quite the accessory to the frittata I made Sunday night, which contained the remaining red onion and potatoes.
Everything else went into making lunchtime at the Arnaudin household a treat. We had tomato cream cheese sandwiches and amazingly crisp cucumber along with our usual side of crudites (that pile of veggies behind the sandwich is what EDW and I each eat most days at lunch.)
The peaches were a great treat, but we wanted more of them. We each had one at breakfast one day and then as a little snack on Sunday.

As for the heirloom tomatoes? As much as I wanted to make like Annette Bening in The Kids Are Alright and rant, "“If I hear one more person say how much they love heirloom tomatoes, I’m going to punch them right in the face," I just can't. These tomatoes were the bomb dot com (let's bring that phrase back, shall we?), and they deserve every bit of praise they receive. If I were a gardener, I would live and die for my heirloom tomatoes, I can tell you that much. EDW and I were especially partial to the reddish purple ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment