Thursday, July 14, 2011

curried collards and potatoes

It's been a while since my house has smelled like curry, and in honor of the closed windows (we finally caved and turned on the AC this week) I figured it was high time to stink up the place. On Tuesday (CSA box pick-up day and my favorite day of the week), I threw together a quick curried dinner.

I picked up my box on my break at work, and I jotted down my recipe plan in between checking people out (of the library, fools, I was not actually checking them out.) What I liked most about this dinner is that I could make it without an additional trip to the grocery store on my way home-- I already had the cooked chickpeas and tomatoes in my kitchen and the potatoes and collards were in this week's box.

Curried Collards and Potatoes
serves 4

2 T canola oil
1 T minced garlic
1 T minced ginger

1 medium onion, chopped

3 cups chopped new potatoes

1 1/2 t curry powder
1/2 t garam masala

1 large bunch collard greens, rinsed and torn into pieces (a pound? would you like me to mention, yet again, how I need a food scale?)

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved

2 cups cooked chickpeas

salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, and onion, and cook until the onion is softened.
Add potatoes, curry powder, and garam masala to the pan. Stir to combine. Cover and cook until potatoes are almost tender, 10-15 minutes.
When the potatoes are almost tender, add the collards, tomatoes, and chickpeas and stir. Cook until heated through.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

This pile of vegetables was perfectly adequate. EDW said he would have liked more of a sauce to it, but that it had great flavor. I agree: with a chutney on top or something saucier mixed in, the whole thing would have seemed a bit more put together, but it was satisfying nonetheless.
If you're looking for a life-changing curry dish, this isn't for you. If you need a quick meal with pantry staples, please try! Edwin and I both give this a solid B.

No comments:

Post a Comment