Thursday, July 7, 2011

festive cabbage

On Tuesday, I made a lovely pink dish with some CSA veggies. It was basically just beans and greens (are you sick of beans and greens? we definitely are not), but with red cabbage and corn. I sauteed an onion and a tablespoon of minced garlic, added in about a tablespoon of chili powder and a couple teaspoons taco seasoning, and then cooked the cabbage until it was tender. Next I stirred in black beans and fresh corn, tasted and seasoned with salt and pepper, and we were ready to eat.
I didn't have what I needed to make pico de gallo, so we topped our bowls with regular jarred salsa (I like Frontera chipotle because it's hot and EDW likes Frontera jalapeƱo cilantro because it's medium, so we have both in our fridge year round. We also have separate milks.).

The more I cook with cabbage, the more I realize how much I like it. In years past I've turned up my nose at cabbage because I only associated it with cole slaw (I don't do mayo-based salads) and sauerkraut (I like sauerkraut but don't really know how to make that a meal). The red cabbage in this was lovely, and the corn gave it a pop of sweetness that we appreciated.
EDW and I are happy to have these leftovers. Let's be honest: we're happy to have most leftovers.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I recognize that CSA! Isn't that from the Fresh Quarter Produce in the Grove Arcade downtown Asheville?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That's my CSA! My husband and I get a half share and we love it.

    ReplyDelete