Thursday, July 21, 2011

greek fennel skillet

I made Greek Fennel Skillet* with pasta last night for dinner, because I had two lovely bulbs of fennel and some fantastic looking orange tomatoes from my CSA box to use. Per usual, I made my own adjustments to the recipe.

I started by sauteeing garlic in olive oil, followed by an onion with thinly sliced fennel. Once that was tender, I added 3 chopped tomatoes and some lemon juice, and let the mixture cook down for about 10 minutes. At this point in the recipe, I was supposed to salt and pepper to taste, but I held off and I'm glad I did. I stirred in some fresh basil and spinach (not in the ingrede list, but when are spinach and basil a bad idea?), followed by chopped kalamata olives and feta cheese. I let the cheese make everything gooey, added a lot of black pepper and just a bit of salt (the olives and feta gave it plenty of salt already), and stirred in my pasta.
EDW was at a baseball game, so I ate this solo in the kitchen. It was fantastic. I loved the juicy tomatoes with the unmistakable tang from the fennel, and the basil was a nice addition if I do say so myself. Edwin is having his leftovers for lunch today, but I'm betting he'll think this is a winner.
*Lind, Mary Beth and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. Simply in Season. "Greek Fennel Skillet." p. 124.

1 comment: