Friday, July 15, 2011

salsa verde spelt berry salad

We received a beautiful pile of fresh tomatillos in our CSA box this week. The only time I've cooked with tomatillos has been with green chili, and that was a recipe that used canned tomatillos.

I googled a bunch of tomatillo recipes, and I seriously considered making a corn and tomatillo soup. Ultimately I decided it's just too hot for soup right now, so I went with a refreshingly cold spelt berry salad. At first I was going to use the tomatillos raw in the salad and create a cilantro dressing, but then I had a mini revelation and decided to make salsa verde and use that as the dressing.
I made Mark Bittman's cooked tomatillo salsa* first. I roasted the tomatillos, and then I cooked them down with 2 diced onions, 5 cloves of garlic, a jalapeƱo and a cup of water. The recipe called for 2 poblano peppers too, but I didn't have them and didn't want to go to the store so I skipped that ingrede. Once my salsa had thickened, I stirred in cilantro and lime juice. Mr. Bittman's recipe is for a chunky salsa, but I decided to puree mine.
Hey, blog friends? I can't even begin to tell you how amazing I felt to have prepared this deliciousness at 8 in the morning before work. This salsa is absolutely fantastic. It made an incredible dressing for my spelt berry salad, and I still have some leftover (I'm thinking it'll be great on eggs, not to mention my plans for it with today's pinto beans and kale lunch).
Salsa Verde Spelt Berry Salad
serves 4

1 cup spelt berries
2 cups cooked black beans
2 tomatoes, chopped (I used 2 heirloom tomatoes from our CSA because I'm fancy)
4 ears corn, kernels removed
1 cucumber, chopped
1 cup diced red onion
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 1/2 cups prepared salsa verde

Cover well rinsed spelt berries with 3 inches of water. Bring to a rolling boil; reduce heat to gentle simmer and cook uncovered until tender, about 45 minutes. Rinse and allow to cool.

Combine cooled spelt berries with remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Not that we're on the subject, but I'd like to be: I was majorly productive when I made this salad, as I made this dinner before work one morning. I had cooked spelt berries and thawed black beans in the fridge, so I was a few steps ahead. But still. I was on the productivity train. On Wednesday morning, I:

*went to spin class (where we're recreating the Tour de France's routes each morning in a condensed 45 minute sweat-fest. I see you, Pyrenees.)
*roasted tomatillos
*chopped vegetables for salad
*showered/got dressed
*ate a bowl of oats
*read about/got excited about HP7pt2 (3D if you're cool like the Arnaudins)
*chopped onions and garlic for salsa
*made salsa
*made salad
*washed dishes

all by 9:15!

Even if you aren't an overachiever in the morning, you should make this spelt berry salad. It's my favorite of all the spelt berry salads I've made this year, and I think it could become yours, too. EDW can't really keep all the spelt berry salads straight, but he really loved this one's fresh zing of flavor.
*Bittman, Mark. How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. "Cooked Tomatillo Salsa: Salsa Verde." p. 788

1 comment:

  1. Just got your link in my new CSA box and so glad to have found you here. This salad sounds fantabulous. I made an uncooked salsa verde with my tomatillos last week, which was good, but yours sounds better.

    ReplyDelete