Friday, August 12, 2011

curried corn soup

We got eight more ears of corn this week, which was exciting and a little challenging. I decided to make another soup, because EDW and I love soup and it's a great way to use up produce. I started with this Martha recipe for Cold Curried Buttermilk Soup, but I made a lot of changes. I also didn't take a lot of photes, because corn soup is neither a lovely process nor product.

Since the recipe said it only made about a quart, I doubled it for leftovers and maximum CSA box usage. I sauteed a yellow onion (actually I used two because mine were small) with some garlic and a seeded jalapeƱo instead of a poblano. Next I added in the kernels from 8 ears of corn and cooked everything for a bit. I also pumped up the spices. I doubled what Martha calls for, and I also added in 2.5 t curry powder.

I decided to forgo the buttermilk since I didn't have any. Instead I added 2 cups vegetable broth and 4 cups unsweetened almond milk. I brought everything to a low boil, and then I used my immersion blender to partially puree the soup. We had our soup hot the first go round for part of Wednesday's dinner.

The curried corn soup was delicious. I actually adored the almond milk with it, because it lent just a touch of creamy sweetness to the whole thing. It's definitely not a dessert soup in its sweetness level, but the almond flavor really did complement the curry. At first, Edwin and I were convinced that summer white corn soup was better. It's practically impossible, I think, to beat a Sara Foster soup, but this curried version is really solid. We had the soup cold for leftovers, which was lovely and refreshing. Like most soup, its flavor was even better the next day, and we both loved it. I'd gladly make this again (with my changes, obvi).

No comments:

Post a Comment