Sunday, August 7, 2011

summer white corn soup

We received beautiful summer corn in our CSA box this week, and I knew I wanted to make Sara Foster's summer white corn soup* with it. My corn was technically not white, but it was sweet and fresh and I knew it'd be perfect.

I started by sauteeing yellow onion, celery, and garlic in olive oil and butter. I was supposed to use the corn cobs to make corn broth, but that seemed like a lot of time and effort, so I poured in 4 cups of vegetable broth instead. I also added a chopped yukon gold potato and let everything simmer for about 20 minutes. Once the potato was tender, I stirred in the kernels from 5 ears of corn that had been simmered with some milk in a separate pot, along with lots of fresh basil. I used my immersion blender to partially puree the soup, and we were ready to go.
Sara Foster recommends garnishing the soup with more basil, but I had lots of corn, so I cut the kernels off another ear and combined that with the additional basil to make a fun topper.
I'm telling you: Sara Foster is the queen of soup. This corn soup was fresh and flavorful, and EDW and I adored it. It reheated beautifully once, and then we tried it chilled for lunch today. I probably liked it cold more than Edwin, but I generally like cold soups more than he does. The only downside to this soup is it didn't last nearly long enough.

*Foster, Sara. Fresh Every Day. "Summer White Corn Soup." p. 48

No comments:

Post a Comment