Sunday, August 28, 2011

tomatillos, zucchini and beans

I made this dish last week, and I almost didn't blog about it. The first time we ate it, Edwin was completely unimpressed. He thought there were too many competing flavors and he hated the spelt berries-- I wasn't going to subject you to a less than stellar recipe. I thought I might show you photes and tell you about how while Edwin likes almost everything I cook, I do mess up sometimes.

But then, as I thought might happen, EDW came around with the leftovers. The ingredients blended more as they waited in the fridge, and what I thought was quite tasty the first go round turned into something Edwin could mostly get on board with in the end. So here you have it:

Tomatillos, Zucchini and Bean Skillet
serves 6-8

2 T olive oil
1 T minced garlic
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
2 yellow onions, chopped
2 large zucchini, chopped
1.5 LB fresh tomatillos, chopped
2 cups cooked black beans
2 cups cooked pinto beans
1 T cumin
1 T mexican oregano
1 t chili powder
fresh cilantro
2 tomatoes, chopped

Heat oil over medium heat and sautee onions, garlic and jalapeño until softened and starting to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
Add the zucchini, turn the heat up to medium high, and sautee until the squash begins to turn tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatillos and cook until liquid is released and things get saucy.
Stir in the cumin, oregano, chili powder. Add the beans. Cook until everything is heated through.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir in the cilantro and tomatoes and serve with spelt berries.
I was pretty happy with this upon first bite, but like I mentioned, it took Edwin a while to warm up to it. He really didn't like the spelt berries with it at first, and recommends either no grains or brown rice instead. He liked the flavors, but thought the zucchini was a bit too prominent.
I gave this a B+. For Edwin, it started as a C-, but by the time we finished the leftovers today he'd declared it to be a solid B.

No comments:

Post a Comment