Thursday, September 15, 2011

butternut and bean skillet

The butternuts have arrived! We received 4 in our box this week, and I just had to cook some on Tuesday. Since I had little time and a lot of squash desire, I decided to shred two to speed up the cooking process.
Butternut and Bean Skillet
serves 6

2 T olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and shredded (I used my food processor)
3 cups cooked beans (I used 2 cups black beans and 1 cup pinto beans)
1 T cumin
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1 bunch kale, stemmed and torn into bite sized pieces
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion in olive oil over medium heat until it is starting to soften. Add the shredded squash, turn up the heat to medium high, and cook until the squash is tender, 10-12 minutes.
Add spices and beans. Stir in kale and about 1/3 cup of water; cover and cook until kale is tender and wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over brown rice. Garnish with peppers and salsa.
I was concerned that EDW would think the kale didn't belong in this dish, but we both loved the combination. We actually would have liked more greens, but I could only use what I'd been given. The salsa really sent the dish over the top, and while it's definitely not winning any beauty contests, this recipe is a star. It has reheated beautifully for lunch, and we are mildly obsessed with its goodness. Edwin and I both give it a solid A.
Thank you, fall, for bringing me my butternut squash.

1 comment: