Saturday, September 3, 2011

carnival squash soup

We received two carnival squash(es?) in our CSA box this week, and I knew I wanted soup. Sure it's still summer, but when you're given your first winter squash of the season, the only logical thing to do is roast it that same day for soup the next.

I used this recipe for winter squash soup as my base, but I made several changes. I only had two carnival squash(es?) to work with, so I roasted them Tuesday night and added a 15 ounce can of pumpkin (from last year's reserves-- I'm down to just 2 cans!) in place of the third squash. I used olive oil instead of butter and vegetable broth instead of chicken. When I stirred in the cumin, I added 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, because it seemed like a good thing to do.

After the soup had simmered a while, I added 2 cups cooked navy beans before pureeing the whole thing with my immersion blender. I wanted to add some protein and heft to the soup, and I figured beans were a good way to do it. Because of the added ingredients, I had to thin my soup with water. I just poured in water (I was out of broth) and blended until I had a consistency I liked. You can't really ever taste pureed navy beans in soups, if you're wondering. They just add a nice thickness and nutritional benefits.
When I initially tasted the soup, it seemed a bit bland. Instead of simply adding more salt and pepper like a normal person, I dumped in more cumin. This proved to be a mistake, since EDW really didn't like the soup at all. His main complaint was that it tasted overseasoned. I agree-- two teaspoons of cumin would have been plenty once more salt had been added, but you can't really remove cumin once it's in.

We had our soup with spinach salads, and I definitely was its bigger fan. While Edwin powered through one round of leftovers, after lunch the next day he declared he was finished with the carnival squash soup. I understood, but I still ate the leftovers. To me the overspiced quality didn't make the soup inedible, it just made it not super fantastic. The cumin flavor was very prominent, but I still thought the squash's velvety sweetness came through a little.
Regardless of my semi soup flop, I still like carnival squash and wouldn't mind getting more.

1 comment:

  1. I should have taken a video of you cracking open the carnival squashes with the giant cleaver knife. Folks, it was loud and violent!

    Was sad not to have liked the soup. Change the spice level and it would probably be at least a B+.

    ReplyDelete