Friday, September 23, 2011

charred eggplant dip

I make a lot of food, and some of it often looks like a hot mess. I love a big bowl of ingredients, all mushed together, and my cooking reflects that. Most of the time, I take photos of what I cook and post them here, hoping they are pretty enough to impress you. Sometimes, though, I can't even photograph what I make.

I made charred eggplant dip the other night, and while it's definitely delicious, the color of cooked eggplant does nothing for the texture it takes on when it's pureed. Even the folks at Whole Living couldn't make it look that enticing-- but theirs looks infinitely better than mine, which is in a plastic tupperware and was ready for a photo shoot Wednesday night. That being said: make this dip!

I broiled two small eggplants from our CSA box for about 25 minutes, and then I used my immersion blender to puree the innards with lemon juice, garlic, and a bit of cayenne (I wasn't reading closely when the recipe said to use red pepper flakes). I also added about 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika-- it seemed like the right thing to do.

EDW and I took the eggplant dip with our lunches, and dipped our crudites in it for a little veggie variation. It was fantastic. I also dumped some on my spinach and chickpea salad, and you can imagine how well that went off. Word of warning: the garlic is strong, so pack altoids (or keep them in your desk, next to your dark chocolate, like me).

No comments:

Post a Comment