Monday, September 26, 2011

curried coconut soup with lemongrass

We received stalks of lemongrass this week in our CSA, and I was eager to make some sort of Thai inspired dish. I ended up with curried coconut soup with lemongrass* Sunday night, and it was lovely.

Mr. Bittman's recipe seemed a little light as it was, so I decided to add edamame and bok choy to his basic recipe for heft. I started by sauteing an onion in grapeseed oil, and once it was very tender I added in minced garlic, ginger, a chili, and curry powder. Next came sliced shitake mushroom caps (the recipe called for 1 cup, but I used closer to 2). I added vegetable broth and let the soup simmer for about 10 minutes, and then I poured in a can of coconut milk and the edamame and bok choy. Once the beans and cabbage had cooked a bit, I stirred in soy sauce and lime juice.
EDW and I garnished our soup with sliced green onions and sriracha, which gave it a beautiful kick of flavor. While we really enjoyed this soup, Edwin found it to be a bit on the brothy side for his liking. Neither of us can imagine how meager it would seem without the beans, bok choy and additional mushrooms, and we're glad I thought to pump up the volume. We're still excited to have it as leftovers for lunch today though, as it really is quite tasty.
Bittman, Mark. How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. "Curried Coconut Soup with Lemongrass." p. 137-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment