Thursday, September 8, 2011

lots of vegetable soup

We had a great haul in our CSA box this week, and I was eager to cook everything. I started throwing vegetables in a pot until I had a beautiful soup on Tuesday night. I told EDW that I just kept adding things until it looked ready (I neglected to take photos, but just picture me chopping and adding ingredients and you're set) and then I called it a day. He said I should name the recipe Call It a Day Soup, but we'll go with the more traditional:

Vegetable Soup
serves 6-8

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 onion, chopped

2 T EVOO

3 tomatoes, chopped

2 T dried basil

1 T dried oregano

6 cups vegetable broth

1.5 LB fresh okra, chopped

3 summer squash, chopped
3 cups frozen lima beans

1 bunch collards, thinly sliced

salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until softened. Add tomatoes, basil, and oregano, and cook until the tomatoes release their juices. Stir in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add the remaining vegetables and simmer until the okra is tender and the beans are cooked, about 7-10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with toast.

Edwin and I LOVED this soup. We both give it an A and think it's perfect, and we're so glad to have the leftovers for lunch.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, it sounds like a perfect soup. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I am so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete