Monday, October 3, 2011

caramelized onion and cabbage chowder with sweet potatoes and chickpeas

I made a cabbage chowder on Sunday night. If you think you don't like cabbage, I think you don't know what you're missing.

I used the recipe for caramelized onion and savoy cabbage chowder from Vegetarian Times as my base, taking inspiration from this blog post along the way. I wanted to keep the apple cider from veg times, add the sweet potatoes from Marcus Samuelsson's website, and put my own protein filled spin on it with chickpeas.

I couldn't decide whether to use rosemary or thyme as my herb of choice, so I ended up using a bit of both ( I used dried). I also used a combination of vegetable broth and water for my liquid, and I sauteed everything with a combination of Earth Balance and olive oil, which made my version vegan.

So yeah. Lots of things happening here. Also, my sweet potatoes were white, which is exciting. As you may recall, I'm not a fan of regular white potatoes, but white sweet potatoes? Bring. Them. On. We got a pile of sweet potatoes in our CSA this week, and some were brown skinned with white innards, some were brown with red, and some were red with white-- very exciting times here in the Arnaudin house of sweet potato love. The ones Sunday night happened to all have white flesh. I stirred in some chickpeas once I got to the simmer, partially covered bit of the recipe.
The chowder was chunky and full of vegetables, but as I suspected, EDW wasn't crazy about the beans' presence. He was also thrown by the lack of orange in the chowder after I told him there were sweet potatoes. The white sweet potatoes were certainly still sweet, but I would say they didn't have as pronounced a yammy flavor as their orange counterparts.
We enjoyed our chowder, but I'm not sure I'd make it again unless I already had the ingredients on hand. It just didn't seem all that special-- it was much more in the adequately flavorful and filling category-- and won't be added to our favorites list.

No comments:

Post a Comment